Month: June 2012

HAProxy – HTTP 500s Out Of The Blue – Fixed

So this morning we faced a few interesting issues revolving around our HAProxy setup.

The scenario we faced was HAProxy reporting all our servers as down, despite them being perfectly accessible directly (i.e. not through the load balanced IP)

And thus the process of elimination began;

  • Firewall Issue – Nope
  • AV Upgrade – Nah
  • Changes in the web applications – Ney

I have to admit, we were pretty stumped. Our Icinga (Nagios fork) check_http checks were going through fine, when we duplicated checks to the servers they were also fine and reporting a normal 200 status.

Looking at the checks, it was reporting an issue with our mobile site (Currently in development) so we added in an agent-type to the HAProxy httpchk, still no dice.

After more prodding and poking and a big hint from vr (@vihaire) I added in a host header and as if by magic, the sun came out from behind the clouds and shone its delightful rays upon us.

The config used was the following;

So if you run into this issue, then this may just be the fix to your problems!

A nice little article on Host Headers and IIS @

Automating Software Deployment /w Ninite – Improved!

It wasn’t so long ago that I wrote this article;

It seemed quite well received, I actually had some tweets and messages about it :O!

Now, two weeks ago I came across the following post on Reddit;

Ninite Pro. There’s a powershell script on a Spiceworks forum that pulls all machines from AD, as the Ninite machine scan leaves a lot to be desired.

Really I thought? I best go check that out!

The scripts in mention are the following;

Just thought I’d point these out in a great upbeat passive-aggressive manner.

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Anyway, moving on swiftly!

What this post really is about, an improved version

So that’s what I worked on tonight whilst upgrading our AV systems.

So this is single PowerShell file, it has the following Pre-requisites;

  • It must be in the same folder as NiniteOne.exe
  • You have to set the variables and paths beforehand

As for where I’d like to take this script

  • E-Mail of the logs, in a more legible format
  • E-Mail of outstanding needed software
  • Possible input of parameters rather than setting variables

Rather than writing a new blog post for when I push one of these features, you’ll be able to follow them over at GitHub @ 

Syncing Sublime Text 2 with Google Drive

So Google Drive, pretty cool eh? It seems nice so far!

Something I’ve found myself doing is using it sync my Sublime Text 2 files I’m working on, but I figure I can go one better and sync my Sublime Text 2 settings to create a seamless environment to work in.

I just have to say, if you’ve not tried Sublime Text 2 out, I really… really think you should! It’s pretty damn awesome, so awesome here’s a link.

Now down to business;

First thing first, install Google Drive over @

Now for the steps;

  • Map your gDrive to a drive letter using methods here;
  • Create a new folder in your gDrive, call it Sublime
  • Open up a windows browser and head on over to %APPDATA%Sublime Text 2
  • Move all the folders from here to your shiny new folder in your gDrive (There should be 5 folders, Backup, Installed Packages, Packages, Pristine Packages, Settings)
  • Make a backup of the %APPDATA%Sublime Text 2 directory and then delete the folders that sit in it.

Okie Doke, now it’s time to use mklink. Fire up a cmd prompt (As an administrator -_-)

And here goes, you’ll want to alter C:\Users\fen\Google Drive to your gDrive’s drive letter (e.g. Y:), then the magical mklink will create a link to your gDrive so that Sublime Text 2 will use the config files you just moved~!

Drum roll please, that’s that over and done with.

This method could be used by quite a few programs I’m sure.